The Ferroplan system offers new solutions for the permanent renovation of structures made of concrete or steel: pillars in aggressive seawater, overflows from locks and dams can be renovated with the Ferroplan system. It can be refined and renovated with high-strength fibers or with additives such as carbon, basalt, bauxite, or corundum.
Ferroplan can be laid as a thin overlay on a subbase where sufficient bonding cannot be secured, which is under-dimensioned or where cracks and movements occur. Typical fields of application are too weak concrete, contaminated concrete, steel- and concrete bridges, piers, and other constructions. As a result of its special properties, Ferroplan is particularly suitable as a thin overlay on steel – and concrete bridges as the system provides a joint less chloride resistant and dense topping. Ferroplan can also be used to produce prefabricated constructions and constructions parts like panels.
Concrete bridges and viaducts
Concrete is the most available and most used construction material in the world and thus also used for the construction of bridges and viaducts. Despite the good properties of concrete some durability problems, mostly related to the structure of the hardened concrete, can occur during time and reducing the service life of the total construction.
Most damages in the bridge construction will be in the wearing course and deck construction. Repairs of the deck construction and wearing course are not always done in a liable way and are most of the time emergency repairs, which will not last for long. None of these emergency repairs will solve all the problems that can occur and are therefore only a temporary solution.
Ferroplan can solve many of these problems and will furthermore result in a very strong wearing course, a waterproofing to protect the under laying concrete structure, and will add an additional strength and stiffness to the whole deck construction without additional dead load.
The restrengthening and rehabilitation of a bridge deck is not a standard application for Ferroplan. The rehabilitation of infrastructural structures like a bridge in a highway system is a specialization, and investigation must be made from case to case to avoid failures. Since every project will be a unique situation, a general description cannot be made. For that reason, we recommend to involve specialist from different disciplines like qualified engineering companies, research institutes and contractors with sufficient knowledge. Contec Group is willing and able to work like an intermediary between bridge owners at one side and engineering firms, contractors, and research institutes on the other side to create a skilled building team and thus “bridging the gap”.
- Extreme high tensile strength compared to traditional concrete (15-80 N/mm²)
- Very high impact resistance and ductility (E-modulus 55.000)
- Particularly good resistance to chemicals and thermal strain
- Freeze/thaw resistant
- Adjustable in colour and strength to customer requirements
- The joint-less surface prohibits damages on trucks, loads and loss of material
- Improves working environment
- Can be applied thin on even the weakest base
- A high content of steel and fibres give a superior resistance to chemicals, oil, grease, acids etc.
- Resists heated liquids or steam (up to 420° C.)
- Meets a strength of 40-60 N/mm² within 24 hours
- Final strength of 120 – 220 N/mm²
Areas of use
- Cost efficient alternative where a weak base requires a change in both wearing course and bases
- Distribution centres and storage facilities stressed by high loads, cracks and wear
- Stressed production facilities
- Roundabouts, way stations, and tracks for heavy traffic
- Aprons and de-icing areas
- Waste recycling centres
- Container terminals
- Mining areas
- In general areas where the base is polluted or demolished